Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Kiln Progress

In addition to seeing all that's going on this weekend I've been steadily glazing and am now about halfway done loading my gas kiln.  It's rare that I'm fully glazed before I start loading.  This time I am except for about 4 pieces that I'm not sure I want to put in....they'll go in if I need them though.

I forgot how much easier it is to have a full choice of pots to choose from for each spot in the kiln. This kiln is getting packed nice and tightly with very little wasted space.  Even though it felt like it took me forever to glaze I'm glad that I'm not looking at a shelf in the kiln and then trying to find a half dozen pieces to glaze for that specific spot....I guess I'm a slow learner.  Now...perhaps I should go make those cone pads....like I said, the kiln is about halfway stacked.  

They'll have a little time to dry though.  Because of my schedule I can't start firing tomorrow until mid-day.  Then, I'm planning on firing this kiln as quickly as possible.  My body can't handle all night kiln firing like it used to.  Hopefully the quick firing will yield as good results as Brandon over here.  

2 comments:

brandon phillips said...

good luck! fast-firing...it's gonna be a thing.

abigail said...

good luck! can't wait to see how things turn out.