I've spent a little while blogging about things other than pots. Maybe I lost a few readers with the boring website stuff. That kind of took over all of my computer time when I wasn't in the studio. Anyways, here are a few pictures of some of last week's work. I've been altering just about everything. I was trying some squared vases and after I had made a few I cam across the comments in one of Ron Philbeck's blog about him making some squared vases with a technique learned from Bob Briscoe. After I made them with my self-discovered method I tried the other method of pulling a board across the bat to shape the piece. I'll have to play around with it a little bit more but I definitely like the idea as well as trimming and cutting the feet away. I've always thrown my altered forms without a bottom and have then spent the next few days finishing them up. I like the quickness of altering the form when wet but I definitely notice that I don't have the same control over the form....and this might be an okay thing.
Anyways here are some oval jars that were thrown without a bottom and then assembled:
and here is a squared vase thrown and altered with the Bob Briscoe techinique via Ron's blog.